Staying Cool the Green Way
It’s cool to be green, and green can keep you cool – especially in hot weather. Here are ten tips for maintaining a comfortable home without relying on the air conditioner this summer.
1. Heat rises so make sure your roof is well-ventilated. Consider installing a temperature controlled attic fan that switches on when the mercury rises.
2. Ensure proper insulation in the walls and ceilings. In Canada, we tend to think of insulation as a must for winter, but proper insulation also guards against the heat of the day in summer.
3. Shade the west side of your home by planting large bushes or trees to mitigate the amount of direct sunlight your west-facing walls receive. Be sure any planting is done a safe distance from the foundation. 4. Ceiling fans can cool a room by several degrees. Install ceiling fans in larger rooms and set them to the forward position so the fan rotates counter clockwise. This will help create a wind-chill effect and make you “feel” cooler.
5. Venetian blinds or California shutters are both aesthetically appealing and effective at shutting out the sun’s glare. Another option is to add heat reflecting film on windows. It will help keep things cool, while reducing ultraviolet rays that can damage furniture and floors.
6. Since most summer breezes blow from west to east, open the southwest and northeast windows to allow a refreshing cross-breeze. Open windows at night to allow the cooler air in, and close them in the morning.
7. Use a dehumidifier to absorb moisture in the air, as dry air feels cooler. A dehumidifier can also prevent mold, mildew, and musty odours, especially in the basement.8. If you can, minimize use of your stove in really hot weather. Consider using an outdoor barbecue or a slow cooker which emits very little heat.
9. Invest in a fold-away gazebo for your deck or garden. It protects from sun, insects, and summer showers when you want to cool off outside.
10. Lighten up the exterior paint. Light coloured paint doesn’t absorb as much solar energy as darker paint, and is a relatively low-cost solution that can reduce your energy bills.
When summer sizzles, think green, keep your cool – and enjoy!
Why Title Insurance? | Why an inspection? | Why Choose Me! | Radon Information | Contact Us | Curb Appeal List | Setting the Sales Price | Lead in the Home | Get the Highest Price | Selling your own home | Free Home Evaluation | Find A Home! | Luxury Homes | Condominium Listings | Hot New Listings | Hamilton Real Estate | Grimsby Real Estate | Flamborough Real Estate | Glanbrook Real Estate | Haldimand Real Estate | Oakville Real Estate | Mississauga Real Estate | Niagara Real Estate | Beamsville Real Estate | Ancaster Real Estate | Dundas Real Estate | Stoney Creek Real Estate | Burlington Real Estate | Dunnville Real Estate | Smithville Real Estate | Brantford Real Estate | West Lincoln Real Estate | Links | Money and Finance | Cayuga Real Estate | Mount Hope Real Estate | Hagersville Real Estate | Hamilton Schools | Seniors Real Estate | Royal LePage TV | Local Services | Market Watch | New Homes & Condos | Home Inspection | Royal LePage State Realty | Relocation Services | Parks & Conservations | Condo Buyers Guide | PreparingForAnOpenHouse | Bungalows | Waterfront Properties | Waterdown Real Estate | What's My Home Worth? | Caledonia Real Estate | What Is My House Worth? | What neighbourhood is right for me? | Home Buyers Road Map | Real Estate Referrals | Search REALTOR.ca® | Making Your Dream Home A Reality | It’s More Than Putting A Sign On Your Lawn | You Deserve Great Service | Home Buying Tips | Home Selling Tips | Royal LePage State Open Houses | Power Of Sale Properties | Closing Costs | First Time Buyers | Get Pre-qualified | Inspection Tips | Home Buyer Checklist | For Buyers | Tell a Friend | Environmental Issues | News | Real Estate Glossary | Selling Your Home | Home | Your Buying Power | Mortgage Shopping | Staying Approved | Staging Your House | Staging Checklist | Heart of the Matter | 9 Steps to Owning | Mold in the Home | Site Map | Rent vs Buy Calc | Mortgage Calculators | Your Dream Home | 9 Steps to Ownership | How to Sell Your Home | Staging Your Home | Holiday Saving | Holiday Theft | Winterize your Home | Reasons Homes Don't Sell | Be Accessible! | The Back Yard | Need a Bridge Loan? | Should you paint? | Plumbing and Fixtures | Real vs. Personal Property | The Kitchen | Role of the MLS | Gated Communities | Flowers Add Curb Appeal! | Improvements That Pay | Home Appreciation | Selling One, Buying Another | Fixer Uppers | Real Estate Blog | Commercial Services